<$BlogRSDURL$>

neljapäev, märts 18, 2004

Why?

Let’s get one thing out of the way right now. The 911 isn’t a reference to terrorist attacks or to some weird ambulance fetish. It’s my birthday and yes, that is a bit awkward. Also, my real name isn’t Gordon Shumway, amazingly enough. But this is the internet and I’d like to maintain some level of privacy.

I always wondered what kind of people do this. Set up their own websites to babble incessantly about current events as if their opinions actually matter to anyone. Turns out it’s people like me. To be honest, what this is really about is that I have quite a bit of free time at my office and I spend much of it harassing my friends with links to various wacky news stories I pick up on. I imagine this is quite annoying. But I still feel the need to share these things. Or at least to provide myself with the appearance of sharing things.

I fully expect that no one will ever read this. Which kind of makes me wonder why I’m writing it. Does this make me crazy? Because, well, essentially I am talking to myself here. And if a man stands up and shares his opinions and nobody’s listening, what’s the point?

I suppose I could ask Dennis Miller.

Zing. Anyway, this is how it’s going to work. I’ve spent quite a bit of time roaming the internet reading blogs and comments recently and I have found a staggering level of intellectual dishonesty. Or maybe just deep, deep ignorance. Either way, we badly need to raise the level of debate in this country and it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen any time soon. So this is my chance to vent. And to fact check to the best of my ability.

Ultimately, what gets posted here will rely largely on how much time I have on a given day and how bored I am. I could very well never post again. In the interest of full disclosure, I am liberal, leaning more toward the whole third way centrist progressive angle. I dislike President Bush quite a bit, as will probably become obvious very quickly. I support John Kerry and, to the extent that there’s no other viable choice, the Democratic party. That said, I’m going to be shooting for balance here.

Odd are, I’ll miss horribly.

But I am going to try to give Bush credit when it’s due and criticize Kerry when he deserves it. I will not make intentionally misleading statements about either. I will not automatically buy into either side’s spin. Fair and balanced news, but with less Neil Cavuto. And I’m probably going to veer off into various obscure bits of pop culture from time to time. I’m driving this train, so who knows where it’s going to go. Basically, this is my journal.

Man, I feel ridiculously self-indulgent right now. Is there any point to all this?

Oh, right, nobody’s going to answer.

Ok then. Let’s get this party started right.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?